Saturday, January 1, 2011

Custom Wedding Gifts- Spotlight #1-MeNeek Treasures

Searching the various wedding sites, I stumbled upon Wedding Wire (ok, I had a little push from Jolie Papeterie) and I found MeNeek! MeNeek Treasures offers hand painted crystal toasting flutes for weddings. Just look at the detail.





Right away I was taken with their stunning artwork and I just had to find out more about them.

Merry McCallum is the artist behind these beautiful crystal stemware and I asked her how she came to start doing this kind of work and what was behind the name.

"I had been painting for years and giving Christmas ornaments and other painted "pretties" to friends and family when, in 2003, I was approached by people who wanted to buy my work. Lots of people ask me how I chose 'MeNeek' in the first place. When I bought my first new car I wanted vanity plates. My 1st choices of 'unique' or u-neek were unavailable so a friend of mine told me I should get MeNeek because I'M the one that is unique!"

These beautiful ornaments would make any Christmas tree special!



and for Winter/Christmas...These will put you in the holiday mood!



Having no talent whatsoever for painting I was really curious about the process.

"I use an acrylic enamel paint made specially for use on glass. After I have finished a piece I let it 'cure' for at least 24 hours then bake in the oven to set the paint. Then I wash before wrapping for shipment."

Just some of the supplies!


"I like to paint a tiny ladybug on each piece as an 'artist's mark' so that my signature MeNeek can be as unobtrusive as possible. I actually chose the ladybug because it is simple to add to the design and very simple to paint. The color of the ladybug isn't always red though! For example, if the entire design is painted in white and gold, then the ladybug is probably going to be white with gold spots. Also.....I have been collecting ladybugs about as long as I've been MeNeek!"


There's a ladybug in the one on the left. Can you find it?

I could easily see how brides and grooms would love to have something so special at their wedding, but I was curious why crystal was her preferred canvas, how are custom orders arranged and how much advance notice did she need to do such beautiful work.

"I guess I like to do the crystal toasting flutes because my flowery designs compliment the wedding venue so well. There are lots of others who paint on glass but I figured if I was going to spend the time to do my very detailed and delicate bouquet designs, I'd as soon do it on really good crystal so that what I offer is truly "heirloom quality".





Just some of the crystal in stock. Of course she's happy to paint crystal supplied by the bride and groom as well!

And don't forget the matching wine glasses!




If a bride wants to be very specific on colors, I request a fabric sample or some embroidery thread so I can mix my paint to match. Keep in mind that I can't guarantee an EXACT match because of the way the paint flows on the crystal.

30 days is usually plenty of lead time for me to complete an order of a pair of toasting flutes. If a wedding is in the peak wedding months of June and July, I would suggest at least 45 days lead time so I can make sure the finished product is complete and shipped in plenty of time for the big day. If it is a Christmas wedding, I would need to know the beginning of September!"

The wedding crystal is so beautiful, but she doesn't stop there!

"I've painted "treasure" boxes for brides to give to their attendants. Sometimes I can get glass or porcelain boxes as well. I laugh and say I will paint on anything that will hold still long enough....including faces! Another big seller, especially around Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are my hand painted coffee mugs. Oh, oh, oh, and chargers/plates and mirrors and candle holders and picture frames...oh my!"



My grandmother would have loved this mug, yellow was her favorite color. Me, I'm loving the SIZE of it-one cup of coffee would hold me over for the day!


What girl of any age wouldn't love to have such a beautiful keepsake.


This is my favorite, it's so entirely different than anything I've seen.

Check out their website to see more of MeNeek Treasures!MeNeek is UNIQUE in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment